• Name of project: – St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford
• Consultant Engineers: – ARUP Engineering Consultant
• Structural Engineers: – Punch consulting Engineers
• Architect: – GEM Purcell’s
• Contractor: – T Bourke Ltd
• The Heating Solution – Zehnder Multi Column
• The Detail
The St Mel’s project was a refurbishment of the Longford Cathedral that had been badly damaged by fire in 2009. The radiators selected by both the Architect and the Consultant Engineer were the Zehnder Multi Column, traditional in Appearance but modern in both style and functionality.
• The Solution
The flexibility of sizes available from the Zehnder Multi Column allowed for the required height, depth and length to be achieved, allowing them to be discreetly installed in the allocated positions in the Cathedral.
In the entrance area a number of curved Zehnder multi columns were installed in the recesses to match the curvature of the recess. Also specially designed feet were supplied with the radiators to suit the required height conditions.
The story of this project was beautifully told in a special RTE documentary, ‘The Longford Phoenix’, which aired on RTE One, on Tuesday 30th December 2014.